Minimum IT requirements for studying online
Congratulations on choosing to study online with FedUni. To help you get the most from your learning experience, it's important that you own or have frequent access to a fast and reliable computer that's ideally not more than two years old.
You will also need frequent access to a reliable high-speed internet connection. You should expect to use approximately 5GB of data each month, per course, just for study use. Depending on the requirements of your course you'll be using this data to watch educational videos, access research and reading materials, complete online assessments, participate in discussion forums, chat groups, and virtual classes with your fellow students, and more.
- Access to a desktop or laptop computer running Windows 7 or later, Mac OSX10.9 Lion or later
- Access to an up-to-date internet browser (e.g. Firefox 40.0, Safari 8.0, Chrome)
- A webcam and headset (including microphone)
- Installation of FedUni Office 365 (provided free to all FedUni students). Office 365 includes programs to create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, store your study materials in the cloud, and communicate with FedUni staff and students
- Ability to run Java, and in some cases Flash (devices running on Apple's iOS operating system, such as iPads, iPhones, do not run Flash)
- A reliable, high-speed broadband internet connection, with sufficient upload and download capacity
We also encourage you to acquire the following skills and knowledge related to operating and maintaining a functional online study environment:
- Know how to install, use, and keep your computer's internet browser and other software up-to-date e.g. installing security updates
- Be proficient in connecting your laptop and/or mobile device to wireless networks either at FedUni, your local library, or other locations
- Ability to use a web camera and headset/microphone
- Know how to use cloud storage e.g. through Office 365 OneDrive
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and other related software packages
Students on campus (without any portable devices) can use the shared computing facilities in libraries and computer labs. FedUni students can also access wireless connections (eduroam) at all FedUni campuses and many other educational institutions worldwide.