Learning and Teaching Conference 2013
The University was proud to support the Learning and Teaching Conference which was held at Ballarat Lodge on 4th and 5th July 2013.
This conference was part of the Regional Partnership Facilitation Fund (RPFF) project in which over 130 participants from the University's six partner institutes are currently studying the Graduate Certificate in Education (Tertiary Teaching) (GCETT).
The theme of the conference was 'Future Directions in Tertiary Education in Regional Areas' and there were a number of interesting keynote speakers as well as interactive workshops and presentations which showcased the work of those involved in this project. Examples of presentation topics included: the use of Moodle in teaching; blended delivery models; latest discussions surrounding plagiarism; interactive teaching strategies; and more.
A dinner was held on Day One from 7:00pm at the Albert Coates Function Centre, UB Mt Helen campus. The RPFF project is being funded by the Victorian government and The Honourable Minister, Mr Peter Hall, MP attended the conference dinner to meet with the RPFF participants who are undertaking the GCETT as part of this project.
Keynote speaker - Roy Tasker
- Tertiary education and psychiatric disability - Bryan Winnett & Sharon Nevinson
- Exploring the use of the 'chat activity module' in Moodle to support and facilitate a group project - Mary Hoodless
- Agriculture and languages other than English - Luise Mock
- Blogs and Balls - Matt Powell
- Learning to play, playing to learn: Empowering the student through active learning - Lisa Sarris
- Understanding plagiarism - Michael Schooneveldt
- Learning in all directions - Ellen Sabo and PASS Team
- QR codes in education - Christine Nicholas
- Challenges facing educators delivering pathway courses in both the VET and HE sectors - Andrew Lovett
- Promoting inclusive learning in higher education - Prue Hobbs, Kerryn Sylvia, Sophie Cook, Stewart Brown and Charmaine Langley
- Developing a fast track delivery model - Steven Hams
- Removing the walls of the classroom - How to design your first online course - Zen Parry
- Press 1 for Yes, Press 2 for No or Press 3 for further instructions - Malcolm Jolly
Pre-conference eLearning showcase
eLearning Showcase #1
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, Mt Helen Campus.
This year's Learning and Teaching Conference included a pre-conference eLearning showcase on the afternoon of July 3rd at the University's Mt Helen campus from 2:00 – 5.00pm.
This eLearning Showcase #1 provided an opportunity to celebrate and share excellent practice in blended and online teaching and learning currently taking place across the University. Staff (and some students) shared their innovations, anecdotes and accounts of using technology in teaching to enable high quality student learning.