What is screen casting and how do I use it?
Screen casting is the process of recording what is happening on your computer screen. It can be used to narrate power point slides as you step though them or demonstrate more complex processes, for instance simultaneously demonstrating and explaining the process of using a piece of software. Visual effects or 'callouts' can be used in post production to draw the viewers attention to certain parts of the screen.
Screen casting software
Kaltura's Capturespace software offers the ability to record what is happening on your screen in real-time in a quick and easy way producing a high quality video. It offers basic editing and allows annotation on the video you have produced. Once complete you have the option to either publish your video to Moodle or to download a hard copy to your device.
Snagit is a simple screen casting tool. You can only make basic edits to the final video and cannot add call-outs to the final product. However if you are making simple 'talking head' style videos Snagit is a good light-weight product. The tool does allow you to easily take a screen shot (a picture of the screen) and add callouts and overlay text, this can be useful when creating instructional documents.
Snagit tutorials for Windows
- Watch the Snagit 'Overview Video' (2:47min)
- Download the Snagit Getting Started Guide (PDF, 677kb)
- Watch the Snagit 'Introduction to Video Capture' guide (1:23min)
For Mac tutorials, please visit the Snagit tutorial website.
It is a powerful, yet relatively easy to use, video capture and editing tool. You can do the following with this software:
- Record screencast videos of your computer screen
- Import video recorded through other devices for editing
- Import FedUni-branded title graphics into your presentation
- Record video directly into Camtasia Studio from your computer's webcam
- Record and narrate PowerPoint presentations, either through a Camtasia Studio add-in within PowerPoint, or by recording a screencast of your PowerPoint.
You can edit your video content using effects such as annotation with the built-in call-out features and splicing together of multiple elements such as teacher talking head, narrated PowerPoint and screencast for a more engaging presentation.
Camtasia Studio tutorials for Windows
- Watch the 'Record your screen' video (2:35min)
- Download the FedUni Camtasia Getting Started Guide (PDF, 400kb)
- Additional resources - Camtasia website tutorials
For Mac tutorials, please visit the Camtasia tutorial website.
Installing these programs
- To Install Capturespace on your computer click here to follow the Installation guide.
- If you use a windows PC, you can install Snagit and Camtasia Studio yourself via the 'Software Center' and follow the prompts.
- If you use a MAC PC, a manual installation will need to be conducted. Log a job with the ITS Service Desk on (03) 5327 9999, requesting Snagit or Camtasia Studio.
For assistance with Kaltura, Snagit or Camtasia Studio, please contact CLIPP or log a job via the Service Desk portal.