Editing course topics / weeks
Main course area
The main body of your course consists of the Title/Introduction section (General) and main topics. Within both the Introductory section and each topic section you can add text and pictures in the Summary of the topic.
We recommend that in the General area you put general course-related information, for example the Course Description, General forums, and assessment information. We also recommend that you include a heading for the course and sufficient spacing, sub-headings and indentation to make it easy for your students to orient themselves and find what they need.
Regardless of the view that the student chooses, the General area is always visible. For this reason, do not fill it with unnecessary items. Limit the use of graphical material here as well, as it forces the user to scroll further down the page to access information.
Topics / weeks
In each Topic or Week we recommend that you add all the material relevant to that topic or week, such as lecture notes or presentations, readings, topic forums and revision quizzes, preferably in the order in which you want students to work through the material. If you are using Topics instead of Weeks we recommend that you include a heading for that topic – such as the title of the topic or the week.
If your course is now using the default Single topic view, including a small relevant image in the topic description will make the front page index more visually appealing.
To edit your course
- To edit any aspect of your course, click the Turn editing on button in the top-right corner. Editing icons become available.
To add topic/header summary information
It is important to add Headings to topics as signpost for students letting them know what the topic will cover.
- Click the editing iconin the top-right corner of the topic.
- In the Summary text editor, type in the text into the Summary box. You can also format tools to format this text as you would in a word document. Click the Save changes button when finished.
To change the section name of the topic
You can now change the default section name of the topic. The benefit of doing this is that the meaningful topic name will then appear in the navigation bar.
- In the Section name, clear the Use default section name check-box.
- The Section name field now becomes editable, enter the new topic name.
- Click the Save changes button when finished.
The name of the topic is now displayed in the navigation block.
To add a picture in the Summary
- Moodle now supports dragging and dropping images into the default editor. Please allow a few seconds for Moodle to complete the operation of uploading, virus checking and finally displaying the image in the editor.
- Should drag and drop not function, click the add picture icon.
From the insert image window, click Find or upload an Image... Click Upload a file on the left hand side, then click Browse to find the picture on your computer.
- Fill in any extra details, if necessary, then click Upload this file. The image will now appear in the editing window.
- Continue to add additional text or images as necessary. Then click Save changes.