Add a forum
To add a forum
- Turn editing on
- Click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Forum from the Activity chooser.
- In the Forum name field, enter a descriptive name for the forum.
Important: Students should be directed towards the student guidelines for online forum etiquette. It is a good idea to include a link to this in any forum introduction.
- In the Forum Description field, enter instructions for your students on how to and what to use the forum for.
- From the Forum type drop-down list select the type of forum you are setting up. The default setting is the most common type. For information on the different types of forum available visit this link. Different forums in Moodle.
- In the Maximum attachment size drop-down list select the maximum file size for each file that students can upload to the forum.
- Select the Maximum number of attachments for a single forum post.
- In the Subscription mode drop-down list select the subscription type you want. The best option for this is Auto Subscription. This subscription option subscribes all members initially, but gives students the option to unsubscribe themselves.
- The remaining settings can be left as the default. Clicks Save and return to course.
Managing Forums and Discussions with Groups
With group settings applied to a forum to are able to control and manage which cohort locations, students or project groups you want to deliver emails and notifications to. Having groups setup you are able to choose between either No groups, Visible groups or Separate groups to control what posts groups can see in a forum. For example If you had a Ballarat Mt Helen Group and a Gippsland Churchill group setup for a forum with visible groups the Mt Helen Students could see what the Gippsland students are being sent and same in return. The Visible groups setting means that students in one group can see posts in other groups but are limited to only posting to their own group not other groups they are not a member of. The Separate group does the opposite where the Mt Helen students would be unable to see what the Gippsland students are receiving and restricted to only their group.
From the forum lecturers have the option to choose which group they want to post or can post to all groups.
NOTE: Ensure you are are which group you are posting to when clicking Post to forum there should be a drop down for group which will show where your post will be posted to.
For more information and useful tips on setting up forums and fostering participation and a sense of community visit the moodle.org documentation site: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Forum_module#The_News_Forum