Add a forum
To add a forum
- Click Forum from the Activity chooser
- In the Forum name field, enter a descriptive name for the forum.
Important: Students should be directed towards the student guidelines for online forum etiquette. It is a good idea to include a link to this in any forum introduction.
- In the Forum Description field, enter instructions for your students on how to and what to use the forum for.
- From the Forum type drop-down list select the type of forum you are setting up. The default setting is the most common type. For information on the different types of forum available visit this link. Different forums in Moodle
- In the Maximum attachment size drop-down list select the maximum file size for each file that students can upload to the forum.
- Select the Maximum number of attachments for a single forum post.
- In the Subscription mode drop-down list select the subscription type you want. The best option for this is Auto Subscription. This subscription option subscribes all members initially, but gives students the option to unsubscribe themselves.
- The remaining settings can be left as the default. Clicks Save and return to course.
For more information and useful tips on setting up forums and fostering participation and a sense of community visit the moodle.org documentation site: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Forum_module#The_News_Forum