Engineering Industry Advisory group
The Engineering Industry Advisory Group (EIAG) is established by the Executive Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology, School of Engineering and Information Technology (SEIT) at Federation University Australia (FedUni) for the purpose of:
- Providing advice and feedback from an industry perspective on:
- The content and delivery methods of engineering programs at undergraduate, post-graduate and professional levels and,
- Industry developments and awareness that should inform the continued development of engineering programs.
- Working in partnership with the SEIT to:
- Ensure the best possible graduate outcomes that serve the needs of the industry, the University, professional bodies and students,
- Support enabling industry based opportunities for undergraduate students, which may include for example work placements (professional practice), mentoring, guest speakers, industry site tours, industry based case studies, research projects,
- Understand and advocate for engineering industry local to the University,
- Identify opportunities for research and strategic consulting that could be undertaken by the Engineering staff and post-graduate students,
- Secure industry partnerships that aide in the strategic acquisition of teaching and research infrastructure,
- Secure partnerships with other education providers that aide in the delivery of Engineering programs, and
- Source industry subject matter specialist to undertake guest lecturing roles as part of an integrated approach to the delivery of engineering programs.
- Collaborating with;
- Engineering IAG’s (or similar) from other Higher Education institutions, and
- Engineers Australia (EA) through local and state representatives.
About the panel
Ross Proud, Ross Proud and Associates (Civil Engineers), Managing Director
Ross works as a director and proprietor of Ross Proud and Associates, a structural and civil engineering consulting company that has been in existence for 20 years and employs the service of a number of civil engineers with specialist skills in cold formed steel structures, timber engineering, historic buildings and structural analysis. Ross himself has had close to 40 years of experience in the Building Construction and Structural / Civil Engineering Industry, working across industrial, commercial and residential sectors.
Jim Stewart, Retired Mechanical Engineer
Jim’s career has been as mechanical engineer. He is now retired but remains active in engineering leadership and training activities. He began his career as an apprentice in fitting, completed a BSc in Mechanical Engineering and later fulfilled senior general manager roles. Working both in Australia and overseas his experience has included CRA (now Rio) Aluminium Smelting, BH Zinc Corporation, underground coking coal mines, a nickel/cobalt plant in WA and high pressure acid leach technology.
Susan Hayes, Central Highlands Water, Senior Technical Advisor (Water Supply)
Susan’s career is in water engineering and management, with exposure also to the waste and coal seam gas industries. She has over 12 years of experience including working in private engineering consultancy, local and state governments, essential services (water), research organisations and the not-for-profit sector. Susan loves working with people and ensuring the human aspect of engineering is integrated into technical investigations and planning. She is also passionate about self-care to support ourselves to realise and bring the best of us to our work and life overall.
Darren Trigg, TGM, General Manager – Business Development
Darren has gained 25 years’ experience in the consulting engineering profession, with particular interest in the land development, infrastructure and civil engineering fields. Darren is the General Manager of TGM Group. Contract administration and project management, including client liaison is a key component of Darren’s involvement in many of the major civil engineering projects. Darren’s vast civil engineering knowledge and project experience has seen him develop presentations which have been delivered to fellow engineering professionals and industry related groups.
Henk de Deugd, EPM Consultants (Vic), Director
Henk has had approximately 30 years’ experience in engineering and project management. He has specialized in electrical engineering, with a particular interest in ICT, and has extensive experience in project and executive management in the health sector. In addition, his experience has included projects in local government, education, pharmaceutical industry, and defence. Henk’s project management and design experience has included minor as well as major hospital infrastructure upgrades, and the management of multi-disciplinary complex projects, specialist medical facilities, research, PC2 and PC3 physical containment laboratories.