Step 2: Select and complete the appropriate application form
- Select the appropriate application form for your project - see options below.
- Refer to the National Statement for guidance when preparing your application, as well as University policy and procedure documents.
- Read the preamble in each section of the selected application form, and diligently follow the directions as given.
- Application forms must be completed on your computer as handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Special consideration must be given to the following sections - read and understand the requirements as listed in the preamble in each section:
- lay description;
- research methodology;
- risk and risk management versus benefits of proposed research;
- recruitment strategies
- Answer all sections with sufficient information so the committee are able to make an informed decision regarding your project.
- Prepare all required supporting documentation (refer to step 3).
- Review spelling and grammar on material prepared for the general public, and ensure it is written appropriately for the intended audience. It must represent the University in a professional manner.
- Download the new Peer Review Checklist to assist authorising signatories to verify your application is of merit to be reviewed by the HREC.
- Obtain all required signatures before submitting your application:
- Principal researcher, and other researchers, then
- Head of School, or
- Deputy Head of School, or
- ADR, or
- Faculty ethics coordinator
- It is recommended you allow at least a week for the above signatories to review your proposal & authorise if considered worthy of submission.
- Incomplete applications and/or superseded forms will be returned to the researcher.
Complete a Risk Assessment Checklist (docx 150kb) to confirm eligibility, as per Step 1 instructions, then an application for HREC Approval Expedited Application (docx, 312kb).
- Applicants must submit the completed HREC Risk Assessment Checklist with their application to demonstrate that their project is low risk.
- An expedited application may be reviewed at either a sub-committee or full committee meeting.
- Standard applications are reviewed at HREC full committee meetings.
- The Risk Assessment Checklist is not required with a standard application.
- This form should be used by researchers seeking ethical approval for a cluster of Human Research Projects, generally for class-based units. Bulk applications are considered at full Committee meetings only.
- Each student’s project will be individually refined by completing a Amendment Request - Bulk Application form (docx. 89kb) which details the specifics of their individual project which is clearly associated with the main application.
- Submit the bulk application with an amendment request for each student's component of the major (bulk) project.
Existing data application
- Refer to the National Statement Chapter 3.2: Databanks for information on the principals databank use.
Approved by another HREC
- HRE projects approved by another Australian HREC are recognised by Federation University Australia HREC.
- Provide a copy of the original application and supporting documents, plus the approval notification from the other HREC to the ethics officer.
- These projects may be endorsed when a researcher is involved in a collaborative project hosted by another institution. (National Statement, Section 5.3).
- The HREC will also consider the approval of projects transferred from another institution by a new staff member.
- Refer to the National Statement, Chapter 5.3 Minimising duplication of ethical review for information on this topic.