Federation University Australia pays a Part VB licence fee which allows staff to copy and communicate images (photographs, paintings, drawings, cartoons, diagrams, graphic art etc.) for educational purposes without seeking permission from the copyright owner. Copying limits and requirements are discussed below.

Images within other works (incidental artwork)

You can copy an entire image together with the text it illustrates or explains. For example, you can copy a diagram together with the journal article it accompanies. For more information on the limits for copying text based works see the texts page.

Images on their own

You can copy an entire published image (from a hard copy original) if it is not separately available in the required format. If the image is separately published, you can still copy it if:

  • permission is obtained to copy it; or
  • after reasonable investigation it is found that the image cannot be obtained within a reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price.

You could scan a photograph from a book to put in a PowerPoint lecture if the photograph is not individually available for purchase.

You could copy an image that is freely available on a website to use in your electronic teaching material. However, material that is available electronically such as through internet sites or CD-ROMs can be subject to licence agreement (generally a click through or shrink wrap licence). If a licence or contractual agreement exists you must abide by the terms of that agreement.

Notice requirements when copying images

Electronic copies must have the Part VB copyright notice displayed immediately before or at the same time as the image.

Alternative sources for images

There are a number of sites dedicated to providing access to open content licenced material such as Creative Commons and Flickr. For a clear explanation of Creative Commons licences and how they work, view this YouTube video uploaded by Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand.

Copying outside the Part VB Licence

Where images have been used under alternative licencing arrangements such as through Creative Commons or a licenced database you should not use the Part VB copyright notices discussed above. Instead, you must abide by the terms of the individual licence or permission you have obtained.