Rachel Daniel Profile
Academic staff - Higher education
Position: Coordinator FASTP1013 Mathematics and Introductory Statistics / Lecturer Embedded Academic Transition & English Language Support Program
Campus: Gippsland Campus, Room: 5N/188
Phone: +61 3 5122 8231
Rachel is a lecturer and the coordinator of FASTP1013 Mathematics and Introductory Statistics. She also coordinates and runs the English Language Support Program (ELSP) at the Gippsland Campus. She has been teaching in Australian universities since 2008 and has taught previously for over a decade in a variety of undergraduate programs in the Middle East and Asia.
Rachel was previously a member of staff at La Trobe University where she worked as a lecturer in English as an additional language in the Academic Language and Learning Unit. She was involved in developing the curriculum and providing language and learning support to UG/PG/HDR students across faculties. In addition, she has also worked at Monash University as a Learning Skills Advisor and lecturer to assist and equip low SEAS students with the required academic skills necessary for their tertiary studies.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Education: TESOL) Monash University – 2014
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment GIPPS TAFE – 2012
- Master of Philosophy (English Language) M K University – 1999
- Master of Arts (English Language) Bharathidasan University – 1994
- Bachelor of Science (Physics) Bharathidasan University – 1992
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) for Research- 2009 - 2012
- Travel Grant for Research- 2008 & 2010
- University rank holder in MA.
Areas of expertise
Rachel has significant expertise in English language teaching and program development through her work at Monash University English Language Centre and her PhD research into English language learning
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL/ELICOS)
- English language acquisition
- Academic writing
- Foundation mathematics and science
- Transition and first year in higher education
Rachel's research interests lie in two main fields:
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL/ELICOS)
- Literacy and numeracy in transition into higher education
EAT – Embedded Academic Transition courses
- FASTP1013 Mathematics and Introductory Statistics
- English Language Support Program
Ponniah, S. D, & Daniel, R. K. (2012). Integrated Education. Delhi: Kalpaz Publication
Daniel, R and Ponniah, S. D (2008). An Integrated Approach to Higher Education in India. Theological Book Trust, Vol.10 (No.1): 14.
Daniel, R. K., & Ponniah, S. D. (2010). "Issues on Globalisation and Indian Higher Education". University News , Vol.48 (No.13): 13-18.