New Colombo Plan
The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which aims to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to study in the region.
The New Colombo Plan is intended to be transformational, deepening Australia's relationships in the region, both at the individual level and through expanding university, business and other links.
In January of 2016, Associate Professor Philippa Wells accompanied eight students on a tour of South Korea, taking in Seoul and Busan during their three week stay. This tour involved students gaining insights into aspects of Korean culture, politics and history, as well as the business environment, policy, and practice.
You can find more information on the New Colombo Plan on the Australian Governments Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.
In order to be eligible to participate in the New Colombo study plans, you must be:
- An undergraduate, domestic student, aged 18-28.
- An Australian citizen.
- Looking for new challenges and experiences.
- Enrolled full-time in a Federation Business School program.
What is involved?
These tours involve:
- Time in the host location, as part of a group of fellow students, plus an academic staff member as leader.
- A travel scholarship to cover airfares, accommodation, travel insurance, and some other expenses.
- Credit for BUEXC3504, involving tour participation and completion of course requirements.
- Study in the host location, industry tours, and cultural experiences.
How can I join?
Interested? What you need to do:
- Read through the information brochures and the study tour flyer.
- Complete an Expression of Interest, and a submission addressing the criteria listed in the EOI form (no more than 2 pages), then submit by the posted due date to inPlace
- Attend a selection interview.
- Attend an information session.
- Participate in New Colombo Plan events organised by the Federation Business School, Federation University, or the government. These events include open day(s), publicity and information sessions, and/or presentations to boards or committees.
Further questions? Please contact Jill Don (email@example.com)
2018 study tour to Timor-Leste
We are pleased to announce that expressions of interest for a study tour to Timor-Leste are now open! You can find the form above, and interested students should submit the form to inPlace. The closing date for submissions is 1st May 2018.
The tour will occur from approximately September 17th, through to October 12th, 2018, subject to booking availability. For more information about this opportunity, please view the Timor-Leste flyer (pdf, 75kb).
Expressions of interest for the following study tours have now closed:
2018 study tour to Shaoguan, China
We are excited to announce three new study tours due to take place in 2018. We have secured funding for our first trip to Nepal, and another trip to Dalian in China, to take place in 2018. The specific dates for these trips are yet to be confirmed, and will be released upon opening of the expressions of interest.