New Colombo Plan
The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which aims to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to study in the region.
The New Colombo Plan is intended to be transformational, deepening Australia's relationships in the region, both at the individual level and through expanding university, business and other links.
In January of 2016, Associate Professor Philippa Wells accompanied eight students on a tour of South Korea, taking in Seoul and Busan during their three week stay. This tour involved students gaining insights into aspects of Korean culture, politics and history, as well as the business environment, policy, and practice.
You can find more information on the New Colombo Plan on the Australian Governments Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.
In order to be eligible to participate in the New Colombo study plans, you must be:
- An undergraduate, domestic student, aged 18-28.
- An Australian citizen.
- Looking for new challenges and experiences.
- Enrolled full-time in a Federation Business School program.
What is involved?
These tours involve:
- Time in the host location, as part of a group of fellow students, plus an academic staff member as leader.
- A travel scholarship to cover airfares, accommodation, travel insurance, and some other expenses.
- Credit for BUEXC3501, involving tour participation and completion of course requirements.
- Study in the host location, industry tours, and cultural experiences.
How can I join?
Interested? What you need to do:
- Read through the information brochures.
- Complete an Expression of Interest, and a 500 word submission addressing the criteria listed in the EOI form and submit by the posted due date to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend a selection interview.
- Attend an information session.
- Participate in New Colombo Plan events organised by the Federation Business School, Federation University, or the government. These events include open day(s), publicity and information sessions, and/or presentations to boards or committees.
Further questions? Please contact Philippa Wells (email@example.com)
There are currently no study tours available for Expressions of Interest.
Expressions of interest for the following study tours have now closed:
2017 study tour to Dalian, China
Planned study trip period: November-December 2017
2018 study tour to Shaoguan, China
Planned study trip period: June 2018
We are excited to announce two new study tours due to take place in 2018. We have secured funding for our first trip to Nepal, and a second trip to Dalian in China, to take place in 2018. The specific dates for these trips are yet to be confirmed, and will be released upon opening of the expressions of interest.