Assoc Prof Elisa Backer
|Position Title||Associate Professor of Tourism and Management|
|Location||Mt Helen - Building B, B113|
|Phone||03 5327 9645|
Elisa Backer, PhD joined Federation University (previously University of Ballarat) in 2008, after being at Southern Cross University for three years. Prior to working in Academe, Elisa held management positions in industry, managing a range of Destination Marketing Organisations. Elisa has co-edited three books and is on the editorial board for 15 journals. In addition, she has been awarded 13 awards to recognise her contribution to research and education. Her main research interests are VFR travel, quality of life, destination marketing, and social media.
- Grad. Dip. Bus. Studies
- B. Bus. Tourism (Honours)
- Grad Cert Higher Education (L&T)
Management (Strategic management, managing people at work)
Research interests and FOR code
Visiting Friends and Relatives (VFR) travel, quality of life, destination marketing, and social media.
FOR code: 1506
Grants and awards
- Conference paper (topic: VFR travel) was in the 'top three best papers' out of 250 papers at the Global Tourism & Hospitality Conference (May 2014, Hong Kong)
- Recipient of 'Fellows Award' (2014) by Council of Australasian University Tourism & Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) – an award given to an academic from Australia or New Zealand who is seen to have made the greatest contribution to Australasian tourism and hospitality and/or research from those who have been nominated.
- Office of Learning and Teaching citation (2013) – national award to recognise outstanding contribution to student learning
- Australian National Competitive Research Symposium (2012) (third place in Arts, education, business division at national heats)
- Award recipient of "Early Career Researcher Bursary Winner" (2012) by Council of Australasian University Tourism & Hospitality Education (CAUTHE)
- Recipient of Vice-Chancellor Teaching Excellence Award (2014)
- Five minute Research Pitch competition (first place in Arts, education and business division at local heats) (2014)
- Award recipient of VC Award to recognise outstanding contribution to student learning (2012)
- Australian National Competitive Research Symposium (2012) (equal first place in Arts, education, business division at local heats)
- Second prize – "Best oral presentation" University of Ballarat Annual Research Conference (2011)
- Award recipient of "Most Outstanding Teacher", University of Ballarat School of Business (2009)
Some recent articles and books are provided but please refer to http://elisabacker.weebly.com/ for a full publication list.
Refereed journal papers
Backer, E. & Weiler, B. (2017). Travel and Quality of Life: Where do socio-economically disadvantaged individuals fit in? Journal of Vacation Marketing.
Backer. E. & Ritchie, B. (2017). VFR travel: A viable market for tourism crisis and disaster recovery?, International Journal of Tourism Research.
Backer, E., Leisch, F., Dolnicar, S. (2017). Visiting Friends or Relatives? Tourism Management, 60, 56-64
Yousuf, M. & Backer, E. (2016). Hosting friends versus hosting relatives: is blood thicker than water? International Journal of Tourism Research, doi 10.1002/jtr.2098
Backer, E. & Lynch, D. (2016). Understanding the Proclivity of Visiting Friends and Relatives (VFR) Travel across Family Life Cycle Stages in Australia, International Journal of Tourism Research version of record online: 16 Sep 2016 DOI: 10,1002/jtr.2087
Backer, E. & Hing, N. (2016). Whole Tourism Systems: An Academic Portrait of Neil Leiper, Anatolia, (published online 21 July 2016).
Backer, E. & King, B. (2016). VFR Traveller Demographics: The Social Tourism Dimension, Journal of Vacation Marketing. First published on August 29, 2016 as doi: 10. 1177/1356766716665439).
Yousuf, M. & Backer, E. (2015). A content analysis of Visiting Friends and Relatives (VFR) travel research, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 1-10
Backer, E. & Hay, B. (2013). Introduction: Social Media Special Issue, Tourism, Culture & Communication, 13, 1-4.
Backer, E. & Schanzel, H. (2013). Family Holidays – Vacation or Obli-cation? Tourism Recreation Research, 38(2), 159-173
Backer, E. & Barry, B. (2013).Empirical Testing of the theory of partial industrialisation in tourism, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 20, 43-52
Backer, E. (2012). VFR travel: It IS underestimated. Tourism Management, 33, 74-79(10.1016/j.tourman.2011.01.027
Backer, E. (2012). Burnt at the Student Evaluation Stake – the penalty for failing students, E-Journal of Business Education & Scholarship of Teaching, 6(1)
Backer, E. & King, B. (Eds) (2015). VFR Travel Research: International Perspectives Channel View
I. Yeoman, M Robertson, U. McMahon-Beattie, E. Backer & K. Smith (Eds) (2014). The Future of Events & Festivals, Routledge Advance Series
H. Schanzel, I. Yeoman & E. Backer (Eds) (2012) Family Tourism: Multi Disciplinary Perspectives, Channel View Publications
Internal/external web links
Professional memberships and associations
- Member of CAUTHE
Associate Professor has received 13 awards to recognise her contribution to research and education and is on the editorial board for 15 international journals.