Turville, Christopher (Dr) - Research
Current research projects/students
Honours student - Forensic Community Psychiatric Nursing Services: A retrospective pilot study on the characteristic of clients using the forensic community nursing services in Hong Kong
Consulting and other activities
- $10,000 UB ECR Research Grant (2003) entitled: Meta-Model for Selecting Appropriate Forecasting Methods
- $10,000 UB research grant (2001) entitled: Application of spatial regression models to the problem of estimating small-area populations from orbitally acquired remote sensing imagery. Co-investigator with J. Harvey.
- $10,000 UB research grant (2000) entitled: Small-area population estimation by disaggregation of published census counts using ancillary information derived from orbitally acquired remote sensing imagery. Co-investigator with J. Harvey.
- A Randomised Trial of Predictive Assay Directed Chemotherapy in Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) and Mesothelioma. (2010). Provided statistical advice for the submission of ethics application. Data analysis of randomised clinical trial
- The Efficacy and Safety of Homoeoprophylaxis in the Prevention of S.Pneumoniae (2008). Provided statistical advice for the submission of ethics application. Data analysis of randomised clinical trial
- $4.2 million ADF Anthropometric Project (2007). Provided statistical advice for the project. Wrote statistical section of the final report. Assisted with the development of a computer package to analyse results.
- $2.3 million ADF Physical Employment Standards Study (2006). Statistical reviewer on peer review panel for all reports.
- $21,000OASCC Occupational Disease Indicators Project (2005). Project supervisor.
- Achterbosch, L.; Miller, C.; Turville, C.; Vamplew, P. (2014). 'Griefers versus the Griefed - what motivates them to play Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games?' The Computer Games Journal 3(1) Candlemas, pp.5 - 18.
- Pierce, R., Martin, P., Turville, C. & Giri, J. (2014). 'Numeracy Across the Bored', Keynote address at FedUni Teaching & Learning Conference.
- Abawajy, J., Kelarev, A. V., Yearwood, J., Turville, C. (2013). 'A data mining application of the Incidence Semirings', Houston Journal of Mathematics 39(4), pp.1083-1093.
- Layton, R., Vamplew, P. & Turville, C. (2008). Using Stereotypes to Improve Early-Match Poker Play. In: Wayne Wobcke & Mengjie Zhang (editors), Proceedings of AI 2008: Advances in Artificial Intelligence, the 21st Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Auckland, December 1-5, 2008. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 5360, pages 584-593. Berlin, Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-540-89377-6.
- Turville, C. & Golden, I. (2008) 'Empirical Research in Homoeopathy - the Collection and Use of Raw Data', The 6th Australian Homoeopathic Medicine Conference, Sydney.
- Harvey, J., Turville, C. & Barty, S. (2004), 'Data Mining of the Australian Adverse Drug Reactions Database: A Comparison of Bayesian and other Statistical Indicators', International Transactions in Operational Research, Blackwell Publishing, Online. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/bpl/itor/2004/00000011/00000004/art00004
- Pierce, R., Turville, C. & Giri, J. (2003), 'Undergraduate Mathematics Curricula - A New Angle', New Zealand Journal of Mathematics, vol 32, supplementary issue, pp. 155-161, NZMS / University of Auckland, Auckland.
- Turville, C. (2003), 'Taking a Chance to Teach Chance', Presented at MAV 39th Annual Conference, December 2003, Melbourne.
- Pierce, R., Turville, C., Giri, J. & Barker, E. (2002), 'Changes of Names, Contents and Attitudes to Mathematical Units', Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on the Teaching of Mathematics, Wiley Publishers, July 2002, Greece.
- Turville, C. & Giri, J. (2001), 'Con-Templating Graphs', Paper presented at MAV 38th Annual Conference, 2001: A Mathematical Odyssey, December 2001, Melbourne.
- Turville, C. (2000), 'Techniques to Handle Missing Values in a Factor Analysis', Unpublished PhD thesis, UWS Macarthur.
- Roberts, L., Pierce, R. & Turville, C. (2000), 'On-line Workshop', Presented at OZCOTS-3 Statistics Education, December 2000, Swinburne University, Melbourne.
- Pierce, R & Turville, C. (2000), 'Real Data - Real Learning', Paper presented at MAV 37th Annual Conference, Mathematics: Shaping the Future, December 2000, Melbourne.
- Turville, C. (2000), 'A comparison of various techniques to handle missing values in a factor analysis', Paper presented at the 15th Australian Statistical Conference, July 2000, Adelaide.
- Turville, C. (1998), 'Generating Correlation Matrices with a Specified Average Intercorrelation.', Paper presented at the Gold Coast International Statistics Conference, July 1998, Gold Coast.
- Turville, C. & Liyanage L. (1997), 'Extrapolating the Functions of Mathematics for UWS until the Year 2020.' Paper presented at UWS Postgraduate Conference, November 1997, Sydney.
- Turville, C. & Mellor, R. (1996), 'Missing Values in Factor Analysis.', Paper presented at the Sydney International Statistical Congress, July 1996, Sydney.
- Turville, C. & Vaile, B. (1995), 'Introductory Physics', Pascal Press, Sydney.
- Turville, C. (1995), 'Missing Values in Factor Analysis', Unpublished Honours thesis, UWS Macarthur.
- Applied Statistics