Bagirov, Adil (A/Prof) - Research
Current research projects/students
- Project: Exploring and exploiting structures in nonsmooth and global optimization problems, Australian Research Council Discovery Grant, DP140103213, 2014-2016
- Students: Helena Mala-Jetmarova, Arshad Mahmood, Chaojie Li, Syed Quddus, Shams Tabrez Ahmed
- Adil Bagirov, Napsu Karmitsa and Marko Makela, Introduction to Nonsmooth Optimization: Theory, Practice and Software, Springer, 2014.
- M. M. Makela, N. Karmitsa and A. Bagirov, Subgradient and bundle methods for nonsmooth optimization, in: Numerical Methods for Diferential Equations, Optimization, and Technological Problems, Special volume dedicated to P. Neittaanmaki, Springer, Netherlands, 2013, pp. 275-304.
- A.M. Bagirov, R. Kasimbeyli, G. Ozturk and J. Ugon, Piecewise linear classifiers based on nonsmooth optimization approaches, in: T.M. Rassias, C.A. Floudas, and S. Butenko (Eds.): Optimization in Science and Engineering, Springer, 2014, pp. 1-32.
- E. Mohebi and A.M. Bagirov, CR-Modified SOM to the Problem of Handwritten Digits Recognition, in: M. Bramer and M. Petridis Eds): Research and Development in Intelligent Systems XXXI, Springer, 2014, pp. 225-238.
- A.M. Bagirov and E. Mohebi, Nonsmooth optimization based algorithms in cluster analysis, in: M.E. Celebi (ed): Partitional Clustering Algorithms, Springer, 2015, pp. 99-146.
- A.M. Bagirov, A. Al Nuaimat, N. Sultanova, Hyperbolic smoothing function method for minimax problems, Optimization, 62 (6), 2013, 759-782.
- A. Stranieri, A. Yatsko, I. Golden, M. Mammadov, A. Bagirov, Capped k-NN editing in definition lacking environments, Journal of Pattern Recognition Research, 1, 2013, 39-58.
- A.M. Bagirov, A.M, J. Ugon, D. Webb, G. Ozturk and R. Kasimbeyli, A novel piecewise linear classifier based on polyhedral conic and max-min separabilities, TOP: Journal of Spanish Operational Research Society, 21(1), 2013, 3-24.
- A.M. Bagirov, L. Jin, N. Karmitsa, A. Al Nuaimat, N. Sultanova, Subgradient method for nonconvex nonsmooth optimization, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 157(2), 2013, 416-435.
- A.M. Bagirov, A.F. Barton, H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Al Nuaimat, S.T. Ahmed, N. Sultanova, J. Yearwood, An algorithm for minimization of pumping costs in water distribution systems using a novel approach to pump scheduling, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 57(3), 2013, 873-886.
- A.M. Bagirov, J. Ugon, H. Mirzayeva, Nonsmooth nonconvex optimization approach to clusterwise linear regression problems, European Journal of Operational Research, 229(1), 2013, 132-142.
- A.H. Tor, A. Bagirov, B. Karasozen, Aggregate codifferential method for nonsmooth DC optimization, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 259, 2014, 851-867.
- E. Mohebi and A. Bagirov, A convolutional recursive modified self organizing map for Handwritten digits recognition learning systems, Neural Networks, 60, 2014, 104-118.
- A. Ferrer, A. Bagirov, G. Beliakov, Solving DC programs using the cutting angle method, Journal of Global Optimization, 61(1), 2015, 71-89.
- B. Ordin, A.M. Bagirov, A heuristic algorithm for solving the minimum sum-of-squares clustering problems, Journal of Global Optimization, 61(2), 2015, 341-361.
- A.M. Bagirov, J. Ugon, H.G. Mirzayeva, Nonsmooth optimization algorithm for solving clusterwise linear regression problems, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 164(3), 2015, 755-780.
- A.M. Bagirov, J. Ugon, H.G. Mirzayeva, An algorithm for clusterwise linear regression based on smoothing techniques, Optimization Letters, 9(2), 2015, 375-390.
- E. Mohebi and A. Bagirov, Modified self organizing maps with a new topology and initialization algorithm, Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 27(3), 2015, 351-372.
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Barton, A. Bagirov, History of water distribution systems and their optimisation, Water Science & Technology: Water Supply, 15(2), 2015, 224-235.
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Barton and A. Bagirov, Exploration of the trade-offs between water quality and pumping costs in optimal operation of regional multiquality water distribution systems. Journal Water Resources Planning and Management, 141(6), 2015, 04014077.
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Barton, A. Bagirov, Erratum for "Exploration of the Trade-Offs between Water Quality and Pumping Costs in Optimal Operation of Regional Multiquality Water Distribution Systems", Journal Water Resources Planning and Management, 141(2), 2015.
- A.M. Bagirov, B. Ordin, G. Ozturk and A.E. Xavier, An incremental clustering algorithm based on hyperbolic smoothing, Computational Optimization and Applications, 61, 2015, 219-241.
- H.F. Jelinek, A. Yatsko, A. Stranieri, S. Venkatraman and A. Bagirov, Diagnostic with incomplete nominal/discrete data, Artificial Intellignce Research, 2015, p 22.
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Barton, A. Bagirov, Impact of water quality conditions in source reservoirs on the optimal operation of a regional multiquality water distribution system, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, accepted for publication on January 8, 2015.
- G. Ozturk, A.M. Bagirov and R. Kasimbeyli, An incremental piecewise linear classifier based on polyhedral conic separation, Machine Learning, accepted for publication. DOI: 10.1007/s10994-014-5449-9.
- A.M. Bagirov and E. Mohebi, An algorithm for clustering using L1-norm based on hyperbolic smoothing technique, Computational Intelligence, accepted for publication.
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Barton, A. Bagirov, Sensitivity of algorithm parameters and objective function scaling in multi-objective optimisation of water distribution systems, Journal of Hydroinformatics, accepted for publication.
- E. Mohebi and A. Bagirov, Constrained self organizing maps for data clusters visualization, Neural Processing Letters, accepted for publication.
Refereed conference papers
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Bagirov and A. Barton. Pumping Costs and Water Quality in the Battlefield of Optimal Operation of Water Distribution Networks. 35th IAHR World Congress (IAHR 2013), Chengdu, China, 8-13 September 2013.
- A.M. Bagirov and E. Mohebi, A New Modication of Kohonen Neural Network for VQ and Clustering Problems, Proceedings of the Eleventh Australasian Data Mining Conference (AusDM 2013), Canberra, 13-15 November 2013. Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology (CRPIT), Vol. 146.
- H. Mala-Jetmarova, A. Barton and A. Bagirov, Optimal Operation of a Multiquality Water Distribution System with Changing Turbidity and Salinity Levels in Source Reservoirs. 16th Water Distribution Systems Analysis Conference (WDSA 2014), Bari, Italy, 14-17 July 2014, Procedia Engineering, Elsevier, 89, 2014, 197-205.
Professional memberships and associations
- Australian Mathematical Society
- Nonsmooth analysis
- Nonsmooth optimization
- Global optimization
- Operations research
- Data mining
- Optimization of water distribution systems
- Computational intelligence
- Journal of Global Optimization
- Pacific Journal of Optimization
- Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization
- International Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Optimization
- Journal of Optimization (Hindawi)