Kuganathan, Kugan (Dr)
Principal Engineer, Mine Backfill - Xstrata Zinc
- PhD (Mine Tailings Disposal by Co-disposal Method) - Queensland University
- M.Sc., (Engineering Geology) with Distinction - Leeds University, UK.
- M.Tech (Soils and Foundation Engineering) - Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.
- B.Sc.Eng (Hons) (Civil Engineering) - University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- Corporate Member, Australian Institution of Engineers
- Chartered Professional Engineer
- Researched mine tailings disposal, thickened tailings disposal, co-disposal of tailings and rejects
- Research, development and implementation of pastefill, hydraulic fill, cemented hydraulic fill, cemented rock fill, etc
- Innovative backfill drainage systems and fill retaining bulkhead design
- Project management, contracts development for pastefill production and distribution systems
- Extensive knowledge in soil mechanics, concrete technology and numerical and experimental modelling
- Extensive experience in rheology testing for slurries and pastes, and using rheological information to design tailings and paste pumping systems.
- Deep knowledge in the operations of cyclones, thickeners, and various filtration systems used in the mining industry.
- Numerical modelling