Hansen, Birgita (Dr) - Research
Current research projects/students
- Investigating the influence of riparian zone condition and management on woodland bird breeding in highly modified landscapes
- A multi-scale investigation into the patterns of habitat use by Latham's Snipe and their response to urban development at a key wetland site in south-western Victoria
- The Narmbool Vision – toward establishing Sovereign Hill's pastoral property "Narmbool" as a demonstration farm for biodiversity conservation, carbon sequestration, viable agricultural production and protection of aquatic ecosystems.
- PhD student project: Marta Slawuta (V.U. primary P. Boon) - Factors determining habitat selection by birds in coastal habitats of Western Port, Victoria
Consulting and other activities
I am the editor-in-chief of Stilt, the shorebird journal of the East Asian-Australasian Flyway. I am actively engaged in shorebird monitoring and conservation through the Australasian Wader Studies Group and the Victorian Wader Study Group.
I also provide expert advice and targeted field survey for waterbird, shorebird and other avian monitoring and research programs.
- Hale, R., Reich, P., Johnson, M., Hansen, B., Lake, P.S., Thomson, J.R., Mac Nally, R. Bird responses to riparian management along degraded lowland streams in southeastern Australia. Provisional acceptance Restoration Ecology.
- Hansen, B.D., Minton, C.D.T., Harrison, A.E., Jessop, R. 2014. Conservation assessment of the Sooty Oystercatcher Haematopus fuliginosus. International Wader Studies 20, 161-172.
- Taylor, I.R., Newman, M.G., Park, P., Hansen, B.D., Minton, C.D.T., Harrison, A.E. and Jessop, R. 2014. Conservation assessment of the Australian Pied Oystercatcher Haematopus longirostris. International Wader Studies 20, 116-128.
- Sunnucks, P. Hansen, B. 2012. Guest Box 5. Null alleles and Bonferroni 'abuse': Treasure your exceptions (and so get it right for Leadbeater's possum). In: Allendorf FW, Luikart G, Aitken SN. Conservation and the Genetics of Populations. 2nd Edition, 2013. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hansen, B.D., Harley, D.K.P., Lindenmayer, D.B., Taylor, A.C. 2009. Population genetic analysis reveals a long-term decline of a threatened endemic Australian marsupial. Molecular Ecology 18, 3346-3362.
- Hansen, B.D., Taylor, A.C. 2008. Isolated remnant or recent introduction? Estimating the provenance of Yellingbo Leadbeater's possums by genetic analysis and bottleneck simulation. Molecular Ecology 17, 4039-4052.
- Hansen, B., Wevill, T., Hettihewa, S. and Gell, P. 2014. Narmbool Biodiversity and Carbon Project. Unpublished report for Sovereign Hill Museums Association. Federation University Australia.
- Menkhorst, P. and Hansen, B. 2014. Investigating the utility of monitoring bird communities to inform the Victorian Index of Estuarine Condition. Unpublished client report to Victorian Office of Water. Department of Environment and Primary Industries, Heidelberg, Victoria
- Menkhorst, P., Loyn, R.H., Hansen, B., Liu, C., McKay, M. and Mt. Helen Dann, P. 2014. Trends in numbers of piscivorous birds in Western Port and West Corner Inlet, Victoria, 1987-2012. Unpublished client report to Melbourne Water. Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research, Department of Environment and Primary Industries, Heidelberg, Victoria
- Nov/Dec 2013 - EcoTas2013 & AOC 2013; Aotea Centre, Auckland and Unitec, Mt Albert, New Zealand. Does riparian condition influence breeding success in woodland birds in highly modified landscapes?
- June 2013 - Biodiversity Across Borders. Federation University Australia, Mt Helen. Riparian zone widths, restoration objectives and catchment land use: management guidelines.
Professional memberships and associations
- BirdLife Australia
- Ecological Society of Australia
- International Wader Study Group
- Australasian Wader Studies Group
My research interests span the fields of waterbird and shorebird ecology, management and restoration of riparian (streamside) zones, and the application of molecular ecology tools to the conservation of fauna.
Internal/external web links
I am currently seeking an honours or masters student to conduct research on Latham's Snipe habitat use in south-western Victoria. Please email me if you are interested or would like to know more.