Centre for Informatics and Applied Optimization (CIAO)
The Centre for Informatics and Applied Optimization (CIAO) is an internationally recognised research centre, delivering basic and applied research in mathematics and information technology as well as applications to industry and government. It was established by the University Council in 2001 as a designated research centre and is currently located within the Faculty of Science and Technology.
The spirit and values within CIAO have been cast by its founding director, Professor Alex Rubinov (1940 – 2006). As a consummate collaborator and brilliant mathematician, Professor Rubinov endowed the Centre with values of utmost respect for all people, excellence in the pursuit of knowledge, and integrity in all affairs.
CIAO's strengths are in the areas of
- optimisation, including numerical algorithms for global, non-smooth and non-convex optimisation, large systems, stability of optimisation and variational problems, duality theory;
- variational analysis, including general regularity theory and generalised differentiation;
- data and information security, including internet security, profiling threat landscape, computer forensics, malware analysis, and identity theft;
- data mining and informatics, including development of new tools and algorithms, analysis of data from large databases, pattern recognition, computational intelligence and reinforcement learning;
- health informatics, including telemedicine, holistic medicine informatics, pharmaceutical design, technologies for empowering people for participation in society;
- knowledge management, including group decision making, legal knowledge-based systems;
- reinforcement learning;
- climate informatics;
- information systems.
CIAO researchers have performed applied research projects funded by the government and industry to the value of many millions of dollars in diverse areas involving production and supply of strategic resources (oil, gas, water, and power), transportation infrastructure, telecommunications infrastructure planning and efficient utilisation.
CIAO is involved in research collaboration with a number of Australian universities. The existing international collaboration spreads across many countries in Europe, Asia, North and South America.