Dr Dara Twomey
Phone: (03) 5327 9062
Position: Head of School, Health Sciences and Psychology
Discipline: Human movement and sport sciences
- PhD University of New South Wales, 2006
- BA (Hons) Physical Education and Mathematics: (UL, Ireland) 1992
- Injury prevention
- Sports surface safety and performance - particularly artificial turf
- Sports injury management and prevention
- Lower limb biomechanics
- Sports Medicine Australia
- Exercise and Sports Science Australia
- Australia and New Zealand Society of Biomechanics
Grants and awards
- 2015 & 2012Twomey D, Petrass L. Player perceptions and injures on synthetic turf. Australian Football League, $36,054.
- 2015, 2012, & 2009 Finch, C., Donaldson, A., O'Brien, B., Otago, L., Mesagno, C., Twomey, D., Ullah, S., White, P., Young, W. Grant for Research Centre for the Prevention of Injury and Protection of the Athlete. International Olympic Council, $100,000 (each year listed).
- 2013 Twomey, D., Petrass L. The effects of synthetic turf components on heat of the surface . TUFF TURF PTY, $8,466 (plus research plots installed).
- 2012 Twomey, D., Petrass L. An investigation of the maintenance regimes at Saltwater Reserve. Uni of Ballarat Seeing Grants, $15,750.
- 2012 Twomey, D., Fleming, P., Petrass, L. Improving the validity of a surface impact test device. Uni of Ballarat Seeing Grants, $8,700.
- 2011 Tredwell, N., Twomey, D., Charlton, G. Natural versus synthetic turf surfaces study. Western Australia Department of Sport & Recreation, $50,596
- 2011 Otago, L., Twomey, D., Le Rossignol, P., Petrass, L. Heat policy for synthetic turf. Melbourne City Council, $10,500.
- 2010 Twomey, D., Finch, C., Otago, L. Research Infrastructure Block Grant for Traction Equipment, $32,757
- 2010 Blitvich, J., McElroy, K., Swan, P., Petrass, L., & Twomey, D. Pool Concourse Project. Aquatics & Recreation Victoria and Sport & Recreation Victoria, $30,463.
- 2008 Twomey, D., Otago, L., Saunders, N. The relationship between Clegg hammer measures and human vertical ground reaction forces on a variety of surfaces. University of Ballarat Grants, $2,410.
- 2007 Twomey, D., Otago, L., Saunders, N., Schwarz, E. Development of standards for the use of artificial surfaces for Australian football and cricket. Australian Football League, $60,000.
- 2007 Finch, C., Twomey, D., Otago, L. Sport ground conditions and grounds assessment validation study. Department of Sport & Recreation Victoria, $26,650.
- 2007 Twomey, D., Orchard,J., Chivers, I., Otago, L., Finch, C. Are escalating drought conditions in Victoria increasing the risk on community level football fields? University of Ballarat Early Career Researcher Starter Grant, $10,470.
- 2007 Finch, C., Lord, S., Close, J., Pascoe, D., Sturnieks, D., Tiedemann, A., Twomey D. Development of a workforce education program for exercise practitioners in falls prevention and exercise prescription for older people. Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, $194,289.
- 2007 Finch, C., Dennis, R., Otago, L., Saunders, N., Twomey, D., Donaldson, A. Understanding the injury prevention needs of junior sport – quantification of injury risk in relation to game development in two community sports. Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, $193,369.
- Winner of the Australasian Society of Biomechanics Travel Award, 2004.
- Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing Best Paper in Injury Prevention at the 4th National Injury Prevention Conference, 2007.
- New South Wales Sporting Injuries Committee Award for Best New Investigator in Injury Prevention at the 5th National Injury Prevention Conference, 2008.
- ASICS Award for Best Paper in Injury Prevention at the Australian Conference of Science and Medicine in Sport, 2010.
Supervised projects (examples)
- Enhancing effectiveness of specialised exercise training (set) delivery in community Australian football: Exploring coaches' beliefs.
- Do equipment and procedural modifications change abrasion measures on synthetic turf?
- Validity of the stud pattern on the Studded Boot Apparatus for rotational traction.
- The validity and reliability of a modified Clegg hammer for testing ground hardness.
- The relationship between peak traction measured by the University Turf Tester and the Studded Boot Apparatus.
- An investigation into agronomic factors affecting the safety and sustainability of Australian community-level football surfaces
- The effect of air cells in basketball shoes on ankle instability in basketball specific tasks.
- The impact of back foot contact on the front foot and ball movement in an off-spin delivery.
- Factors influencing the uptake and maintenance of exercise training programs for preventing lower limb injuries.
- The contribution of lower limb muscle activation to Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome.
- Do netball players' perceptions of ankle braces match their functional performance?
- The effects of ankle range of motion as a predictor for lower limb injuries in community level Australian footballers.
- The development and validation of a device containing accelerometers and gyroscopes and an associated algorithm to quantify jumps within beach volleyball.
Publications (Past 5 Years)
Finch, C., Twomey, D. (2011) Biomechanical basis of injury risk during childhood. In Paediatric Biomechanics and Motor Control: Theory and Application. De Croix & Korff (Eds), Routhledge U.K.
Petrass, L.A., Twomey, D.M., Finch, C.F. (2016) Ensuring natural grass sports fields are safe for athlete participation. Journal of Applied Sport Management, 8(2), 83-98.
Twomey, D.M, Petrass, L.A, Harvey, J, Otago, L, Le Rossignol, P. (2016) Selection and Management of Sports Grounds: Does Surface Heat Matter? Journal of Facility Planning, Design and Management, 4(1), 33-47.
Lenehan, K.,Twomey, D.M. (2015)Abrasion testing on synthetic turf: A modified device. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology. Online Ahead of Print October 2015.
Finch, C. F., Twomey, D. M., Fortington, L. V., Doyle, T. L., Elliott, B. C., Akram, M., Lloyd, D. G. (2015). Preventing Australian football injuries with a targeted neuromuscular control exercise programme: comparative injury rates from a training intervention delivered in a clustered randomised controlled trial. Injury Prevention, Online Ahead of Print September 2015.
Twomey, D. M., Doyle, T. L., Lloyd, D. G., Elliot, B. C., Finch, C. F. (2015) Challenges when implementing an evidence-based exercise injury prevention training program in community-level sport. Journal of Applied Case Studies in Sport and Exercise Science, 1(1), 29-39.
Fortington, L. V., Twomey, D. M., Finch, C. F. (2015). Concussion in community Australian football–epidemiological monitoring of the causes and immediate impact on play. Injury Epidemiology, 2(1), 1-6.
Petrass, L.A, Twomey, D.M, Harvey, J, Otago, L, LeRossignol, P.(2015) Comparison of surface temperatures of different synthetic turf systems and natural grass: Have advances in synthetic turf technology made a difference? Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 229(1), 10-16.
Twomey, D.M, Petrass, L, Fleming, P.R. (2014) Abrasion injuries on synthetic turf: A real risk or not? South African Journal of Sports Medicine, 26(3), 91-92.
Twomey, D.M, Petrass, L.A, Orchard, J.W, Finch C.F. (2014) Ground condition as a risk factor in sports injury aetiology studies: The level of concordance between objective and subjective measures. Injury Epidemiology, 1(1), 1-27.
Twomey, D.M, Connell, M, Petrass, L. (2014) Rotational traction testing: How can we improve the current test device? Procedia Engineering, 72, 919-924.
Twomey, D.M., Ullah, S., Petrass, L. (2014) One, two, three or four: Does the number of Clegg Hammer drops alter ground hardness readings on natural grass? Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 228, (1) 33–39.
Finch, C.F, Diamantopoulou, K., Twomey, D.M., Doyle, T.A., Lloyd, D.G., Elliot, B.E. (2104) The reach and adoption of a coach-led exercise training program in community football. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48(8), 718-723.
Finch, C.F, Doyle, T.A., Dempsey, A.R., Elliot, B.E., Twomey, D.M., White, P.E., Diamantopoulou, K., Young, W.B., Lloyd, D.G. (2014) What do community football players think about different exercise training programs? Implications for the delivery of lower limb injury prevention. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48(8), 702-707.
Petrass, L, Twomey, D.M., Harvey, J. (2014) Understanding how the components of a synthetic turf system contribute to increased surface temperature. Procedia Engineering, 72, 943-948.
Talpey, S., Young, W., Twomey, D.M., Doyle, T.A., Elliott, B., Lloyd, D., Finch, C.F. (2014) Acceleration, change of direction speed and agility profile of adult community level Australian football players. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning, 22(5).
Finch, C.F, Orchard, J., Twomey, D.M., Saleem, M.S., Ekegren, C., Lloyd, D.G., Doyle, T.A., Elliot, B.E. (2014) Coding OSICS sports injury diagnoses in epidemiological studies: does the background of the coder matter? British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48(7), 552-556.
Twomey, D.M., Connell, M., Otago, L., Petrass, L. (2013) The effect of stud configuration on rotational traction using the studded boot apparatus. Sports Engineering, 16, (1), 21-27.
Ford, P.G, Twomey, D.M. (2013) Peak torque and rotational stiffness of bermudagrass, perennial ryegrass, kentucky bluegrass and tall fescue. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal, 12, 625-633.
Finch, C.F, Gabbe, B., White, P., Lloyd, D., Twomey, D., Donaldson, A., Elliott, B.E., Cook, J. (2013) Priorities for investment in injury prevention in community. Australian football Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine,23(6), 430-438.
Petrass, L., Twomey, D.M. (2013) The relationship between ground conditions and injury: What level of evidence do we have? Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 16, (2), 105-112.
Pascoe, D.A., Sturnieks, D., Close, J.C.T., Tiedemann, A., Lord, S., Twomey, D., Finch, C.F. (2013) Knowledge outcomes and retention of a university-based falls prevention education program (UniEP).Focus on Health Professional Education ,15,(2) 55-66.
Twomey, D., Finch, C.F., Lloyd D.G., Elliott, B.C., Doyle, T.L.A. (2012) Ground hardness and injury in community level Australian football. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 15,(4), 305–310.
Twomey, D., White, P.E., Finch, C.F. (2012) Injury risk associated with ground hardness in junior cricket.Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport,15 (2), 110-115.
Twomey, D., McIntosh, A.S. (2012) Lower limb gait kinematics in children: differences between low and normal arched feet. The Foot ,22, 60-65.
Saunders, N., Twomey, D., Otago, L. (2011) Clegg hammer measures and human external landing forces: Is there a relationship. International Journal of Sports Science and Engineering, 5(4),231-236.
Twomey, D., Otago, L., Ullah, S., Finch, C.F. (2011) Reliability of equipment for measuring ground hardness and traction. Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 3,131-137.
Twomey, D., Otago, L., Saunders, N. (2011) The effects of testing procedure on Critical Fall Height determination for third generation synthetic turf. Sports Engineering, 13, 145-151.
Twomey, D., Otago, L., Saunders, N. (2011) Challenges in the development of standards for synthetic turf for Australian football and cricket. Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 2, 93-101.
Twomey, D., Finch, C.F., Doyle, T.L.A., Elliott, B.C., Lloyd D.G. (2011) Level of agreement between field-based data collectors in a large scale injury prevention randomised controlled trial. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 14, 121 - 125.
Finch, C., White, P., Twomey, D., Ullah, S. (2011) Implementing an exercise training program to prevent lower limb injuries –considerations for the development of a randomised controlled trial intervention delivery plan. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 45, 791-796.
Published research reports
Twomey D, Otago L, Saunders N, Schwarz E. Development of standards for the use of artificial surfaces for Australian football and cricket. Australian Football League and Cricket Australia, April 2008.
Finch C, Dennis R, Otago L, Saunders N, Twomey D, Donaldson A. Understanding the injury prevention needs of junior sport – quantification of injury risk in relation to game development in two community sports. Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, May 2008.
Finch C, Twomey D, Otago L, Swan P. Sport ground conditions and grounds assessment validation study. Sport and Recreation Victoria, May 2008.
Finch C, Twomey D. Relationship between Clegg hammer ground hardness measures and injuries in community Australian football. Sport and Recreation Victoria, May 2009.
Blitvich, J., McElroy, K., Swan, P., Petrass, L., & Twomey, D. Technical overview of pool concourses: Australian testing and standards. Aquatics and Recreation Victoria, December 2010.
Twomey, D., Otago, L., Petrass, L., Le Rossignol, P. JJ Holland Park Heat Project. Melbourne City Council, May 2012.