Dr. Samia Toukhsati
Phone: (03) 51226009
Room: Berwick B903, R168C
- Health psychology
- Biological Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Research Supervision
- Member, Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member, Australasian Society of Behavioural Health and Medicine
- Member, Victorian Psycho-Cardiology Network
- Australasian Cardiovascular Nursing College
- Editorial Board: Heart and Mind
Samia undertakes research in adult health/clinical psychology with the broad goals of improving the well-being and management of people living with chronic illness. To achieve this, she uses epidemiological, physiological, and psychological data to inform the design and evaluation of self-care interventions. Samia holds honorary positions at Austin Health and Melbourne University and collaborates with a multi-national, multi-disciplinary team of health professionals and scientists. She is interested in incorporating ehealth technologies to optimise self-care in chronic illness patients and their families.
Samia offers postgraduate supervision within the broad field of health psychology, which could include research that explores risk factors; mental health; cognitive decline; ageing; chronic illness; primary and secondary prevention; self-care; resilience; interventional studies (including the use of music); cross-cultural studies, and; psychometric studies.
(last 5 years):
- Ha, F.J., Toukhsati, S.R., Cameron, J., Yates, R., & Hare, D.L. (2018). Association between the 6- minute walk test and exercise confidence in patients with heart failure: a prospective observational study. Heart Lung, 47(1), 54-60.
- Ha, F.J., Hare, D.L., Cameron, J., & Toukhsati, S.R. (2018). Heart failure and exercise: a narrative review of the role of self-efficacy. Heart Lung Circ, 27(1), 22-27.
- Hare, D.L., Selvadurai, L.P., Wang, J.Q., Yau, H.H., Stone, M.J., Raman, B., Wu, N., Shi, W.Y., & Toukhsati, S.R. (2017). Psychometric assessment of the Cardiac Depression Scale Short Form in cardiac outpatients. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs, 16(3), 249-255.
- Toukhsati, S.R., Jovanovic, A., Dehghani, S., Tran, T., Tran, A., & Hare, D.L. (2017). Low psychological resilience is associated with depression in patients with cardiovascular disease. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs, 16(1), 64-69.
- Toukhsati, S.R., & Hare, D.L. (2016). Towards optimal heart failure care: couples-oriented strategies to improve patient adherence and health outcomes. Curr Cardiol Rev, 12(3), 243-8.
- Iyngkaran, P., Toukhsati, S.R., Harris, M., Connors, C., Kangaharan, N., Ilton, M., Nagel, T., Moser, D.K., & Battersby, M. (2016). Self managing heart failure in remote Australia - Translating Concepts into Clinical Practice. Curr Cardiol Rev, 12(4), 270-284.
- Patterson, J.L., Barber, J.B., O’Connor, D.W., & Toukhsati, S.R. (2016). Electrophysiological profiling of depression in the elderly. Arch Depress Anxiety, 2(1), 31-36.
- Iyngkaran, P., Toukhsati, S.R., Thomas, M.C., Jelinek, M.V., Hare, D.L., & Horowitz, J.D. (2016). A review of the external validity of clinical trials with beta-blockers in heart failure. Clin Med Insights: Cardiol, 10, 163-171.
- Toukhsati, S.R., Driscoll, A., & Hare, D.L. (2015). Patient self-management in chronic heart failure: establishing concordance between guidelines and practice. Cardiac Failure Review, 1(2), 128-131.
- Iyngkaran, P., Toukhsati, S.R., Biddagardi, N., Zimmet, H., Atherton, J., & Hare, D.L. (2015).Technology-assisted congestive heart failure care. Curr Heart Fail Rep, 12(2), 173-86.
- Toukhsati, S.R., Phillips, C.J.C., Podberscek, A., & Coleman, G. (2015). Companion animals in Thailand: Human factors that predict sterilization of cats and dogs. Society & Animals, 23(6), 569-593.
- Mornement, K.M., Coleman, G.J., Toukhsati, S.R., & Bennett, P.C. (2015). Evaluation of the predictive validity of the Behavioural Assessment for Re-homing K9's (B.A.R.K.) protocol and owner satisfaction with adopted dogs. Appl Anim Behav Sci 167, 35–42.
- Gurusamy, V., Tribe, A., Toukhsati, S.R., & Phillips, C.J.C. (2015). Public attitudes in India and Australia toward elephants in zoos. Anthrozoos, 28(1), 87-100.
- Coleman, G.J., Rohlf, V., Toukhsati, S.R., & Blache, D. (2015). Public attitudes relevant to livestock animal welfare policy. Farm Policy J, 12(3), 45-57.
- Bagot, K.L., Allen, F.C.L., & Toukhsati, S.R. (2015). Perceived restorativeness of children’s school playground environments: Nature, playground features and play period experiences. J Environ Psychol, 41, 1-9.
- Hare, D.L., Toukhsati, S.R., Johansson, P., & Jaarsma T. (2014). Depression and Cardiovascular Disease: a Clinical Review. Eur Heart J, 35(21), 1365-72.
- Grace, N., & Toukhsati, S.R. (2014). Psychosocial functioning in the elderly: an assessment of self- concept and depression. Int J Psychol Res, 7(1), 12-18.
- Mornement, K.M., Coleman, G.J., Toukhsati, S.R., & Bennett, P.C. (2014). Development of the Behavioural Assessment for Re-homing K9's (B.A.R.K.) Protocol. Appl Anim Behav Sci, 151, 75-83.
- Toukhsati, S.R., & Hare, D.L. (2013). Detecting and managing depression in patients with cardiac disease. Cardiology Today, 3(3), 27-30.
- Howell, T., Toukhsati, S.R., Conduit, R., & Bennett, P.C. (2013). The Perceptions of Dog Intelligence and Cognitive Skills (PoDIaCS) Survey. J Vet Behav, 8(6), 418–424.
- Howell, T., Toukhsati, S.R., Conduit, R., & Bennett, P.C. (2013). Do dogs use a mirror to find hidden food? J Vet Behav, 8(6), 1-6.
- Gunaseelan, S., Toukhsati, S.R., & Coleman, G.J. (2013). Attitudes toward Responsible Pet Ownership Behaviors in Singaporean Cat Owners. Anthrozoos, 26(2), 198-211.
- McKenzie, W.A., Perini, E., Rohlf, V., Toukhsati, S.R., Conduit, R., & Sanson, G. (2013). A blended learning lecture delivery model for large and diverse undergraduate cohorts. Comput Educ, 64, 116-126.
Scanes, C., Toukhsati, S.R. (Eds). (2017). Animals and Human Society. Academic Press.
Published Conference Proceedings
- Chan, K., Toukhsati, S.R., Toia, D., & Hare, D.L. (2017). The Reliability and Validity of a Standardised Method for Assessing Autonomic Function by Heart Rate Variability Analysis (HRV) in Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS) Patients. Heart, Lung Circ, 26, S173.
- Toukhsati, S.R., Hare, D.L. (2016). The Cardiac Depression Scale (CDS) During Hospital Admission for Acute Coronary Syndrome Identifies Patients at Risk of Persistent Depression. Heart, Lung Circ, 25(2), S303.
- Ha, F.J., Toukhsati, S.R., Yates, R., Cameron, J., & Hare, D.L. (2016). The 6 Minute Walk Test Improves Exercise Confidence in Chronic Heart Failure Patient. Circulation, 134, A13072.
- Hare, D.L., Toia, D., Driscoll, A., Krum, H., Jackson, B., Van Gaal W., & Toukhsati, SR. (2014). Pharmacological Restoration Of Mood In Heart Failure (Pro-Heart): Rationale And Design. Heart, Lung Circ, 9(1), S177.
(last 5 years)
- Hare, D.L., & Toukhsati, S.R. (2014). Conversations of the Heart: Psycho-educational telephone counselling for couples impacted by chronic heart failure. State Trustees. Awarded: $10,000.00
- Hare, D.L., Toukhsati, S.R. (2014). Genetic factors predicting anti-depressant therapy response in CHF patients. Preston and Loui Geduld Trust Fund. Awarded: $7,000.00
- Hare, D.L., Toukhsati, S.R. (2013). Genetic factors predicting anti-depressant therapy response in CHF patients. Preston and Loui Geduld Trust Fund Awarded: $22,838.00
- Coleman, G.J., Toukhsati, S.R., & Blanche, D. (2013). Monitoring public attitudes to inform animal welfare policy development. APL/AWI/AMPC/AAWS. Awarded: $70,000.00.
Toukhsati, S.R. (2017). The effect of relaxing music on autonomic activity in heart failure patients. Australian Academy of Science, Australia–India Strategic Research Fund (AISRF) Early- and Mid-Career Researcher (EMCR) Fellowships. Awarded: $20,000.00
Research Higher Degree Completions
(last 5 years)
L. Greenfield, Master of Clinical Psychology, 2017: Psycho-cognitive predictors of mortality in elderly Aged Care residents.
C.Byrne, Master of Clinical Psychology, 2016: Do specific depressive symptoms predict mortality in patients with systolic heart failure?
K.Chan, Doctor of Medicine, 2015: Does heart rate variability moderate the relationship between beta-blockade & depression in acute myocardial infarct patients?
H.Poole, Doctor of Medicine, 2015: Does beta-blockade increase the risk of depression in chronic heart failure patients?
K.Mornement, Doctor of Philosophy, 2015: Shelter Dogs in Australia: Public Perceptions and Assessment of Behaviour for Adoption Suitability.
J.McArdle, Doctor of Medicine, 2014: Depression as a predictor of mortality in heart failure settings.
T.Howell, Doctor of Philosophy, 2013: Behaviour and beyond: Three ways to examine dog cognitive processing.
V.Rholf, Doctor of Philosophy, 2013: An investigation of the relationship between canine obesity and owner beliefs, attitudes and behaviours.
J.Patterson, Doctor of Clinical Psychology, 2012: Evaluating the therapeutic effects of music interventions on depression in elderly aged care residents.