Dr Vasileios Stavropoulos
Phone: (03) 53276273
Position: Senior Lecturer
Qualifications & Memberships
- Doctor of Philosophy (Psychology), University of Athens, Greece
- Master of Psychology (Clinical), University of Athens, Greece
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Psychology, University of Athens, Greece
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society College of Clinical Psychologists
- Registered Psychologist, endorsed in Clinical Psychology
- Accredited Supervisor with the Psychological Board of Australia
- Member of the international research team ASTRA (ATHENA STUDIES OF RESILIENT ADAPTATION)
- Member of the European Association of Developmental Psychology
- Member of the Early Researchers Union of the European Association of Developmental Psychology
- Adult Clinical Psychology
- Child and adolescent clinical psychology
- Research methodology
Grants and awards
- 2012 European Union (European Social Fund – ESF) and Greek national funds, Operational Program "Education and Lifelong Learning" of the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) – Research Funding Program: Heracleitus II. Investing in knowledge society through the European Social Fund (Stavropoulos V, Prof Frosso Motti-Stefanidi 45000 Euros)
I maintain an ongoing collaboration with the International Gaming Centre, Nottingham, UK and the ASTRA Research Team of the University of Athens, Greece considering the following research areas:
- Developmental Psychology and Individual Differences
- Internet Addiction & Internet Gaming Addiction
- Virtual Reality
- Stavropoulos, V. Kuss, D., Griffiths, M., Wilson, P. & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2015). MMORPG Gaming and Hostility predict Internet Addiction Symptoms in Adolescents: An Empirical Multilevel Longitudinal Study. Addictive Behaviors (Special Issue on Technological Addictions) in press
- Stavropoulos V., Lazaratou H., Marini E., & Dikeos D. (2015). Low family satisfaction and depression in adolescence: The role of self-esteem. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, in press
- Stavropoulos, V., Kuss, D., Griffiths M., & Motti Stefanidi F. (2015). A Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Internet Addiction: The Role of Conscientiousness and Classroom Hostility. Journal of Adolescent Research.
- Stavropoulos, V., Gentile, D., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2015). A multilevel longitudinal study of adolescent Internet addiction: The role of obsessive–compulsive symptoms and classroom openness to experience. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 1-16..
- Lazaratou, H., Stavropoulos V., Dikeos, D., Soldatou, A. & Charbilas, D. (2015). Self-esteem of Greek Adolescents: Changes in a Decade of Socio-economic Hardship. Adolescent Psychiatry 5 (1).
- Stavropoulos, V., Alexandraki, K., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2013). Recognizing internet addiction: Prevalence and relationship to academic achievement in adolescents enrolled in urban and rural Greek high schools. Journal of adolescence 36, (3): 565–576
- Stavropoulos, V., Alexandraki, K., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2013). Flow and Telepresence contributing to Internet Abuse: Differences according to Gender and Age. Computers in Human Behavior, 29 (5), 1941-1948.
- Stavropoulos, V. & Tsoukala, I. (2011). Cross-addiction Prevention. Second stage prevention characteristics of Substance Abusers to the manifestation of sexual addictive behaviours. Tetradia Psychiatrikis 114: in Greek
- Skandami, P., Chroni, D., Stavropoulos, V. & Matsa, K. (2011). The international therapeutic experience in treatment of problematic internet use. Tetradia Psychiatrikis 113: in Greek