Position: Language Other Than English (LOTE) Co-ordinator
Location: Mt Helen Campus, T Building, Room 204
Phone: 5327 9826
Fax: 5327 9717
- Master of Education, University of Ballarat 2008
- Diploma in Education LOTE, TEFL (Secondary), La Trobe University 2003
- Bachelor in Education, (Early Childhood, Primary) Shikoku University, Japan 1999
- EDBED 3007 LOTE Curriculum
- EDGDS 6033 LOTE Curriculum
- EDGDS 6044 LOTE Curriculum
Masako Kennedy graduated as a primary and kindergarten teacher, recreation instructor and school librarian in Japan. She then travelled to Melbourne to begin her teaching career. She has taught at Catholic, Private and Government Primary and Secondary Schools in Melbourne and Ballarat and also at the British International School, Bangkok Patana School in Thailand.
Masako is currently teaching Language Other Than English (LOTE) Curriculum as a coordinator at the University of Ballarat. Masako is also a Japanese teacher at Ballarat Clarendon College as a head of the Japanese Department, and has been a Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) Year 12 Japanese as a Second Language Oral Assessor with the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) since 2004.
Recently she was selected and completed a three-week Japan Trip (at the Kansai University, Osaka) with Endeavour Language Teacher Fellowships (ELTF) and with the Australian government (Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, DEEWR) as a group leader with 50 nation-wide practising and training Japanese teachers.
With her varied teaching experience, in Australia, Japan and Thailand, she is currently undertaking PhD study in the area of Japanese language learning and teaching as a part-time student at the University of Ballarat. Masako enjoys learning, teaching, cooking and playing the piano and saxophone.
Areas of expertise
- Teaching Language Other Than English (LOTE)
- Teaching Language as a Second Language (ESL)
- Teaching Language as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- First and Second Language Teaching and Learning
- Bilingualism and Bilingual education
- Language and Culture in Education
- Intercultural Language Teaching and Learning
- Internationalisation of the Curriculum
- Cross-Cultural Communication
Japanese Language Teachers’ Association of Victoria