Course Co-ordinator, Social Education and Humanities
Masters of Teaching (Primary); Bachelor of Education
Location: Mt Helen Campus, T Building, Room T316B
Phone +61 3 5327 9325
Linda commenced her employment at the Mount Helen campus of the University of Ballarat (now FedUni Australia) in 2006, after previously teaching at the Department of Further Education (UB TAFE) where she worked with students with a range of personal challenges. This followed a teaching career in various western Victorian primary schools and music and performing arts work carried out in local Ballarat schools and pre-school centres.
Areas of Expertise
- Social Education and Humanities in primary schools.
- Environment & Sustainability Education
- Early Childhood Arts
- Pedagogies of imagination
- Narrative research
Current PhD study in education: Imagination as potent dialogical pedagogy - teachers' meanings, curricular choices, and accounts of its practical value for teaching and learning.
- Bachelor of Arts (Monash)
- Diploma of Education (Primary)
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology (UB)
- Global educator (Global Education Project)
EDBED3002 A Place in the World - Geography, History, Social Education & Humanities Curriculum
EDMAP6009 My Place in the World: Primary Social Education & Humanities Curriculum
- Imagination as an approach to teaching and learning
- Environment and Sustainability Education
- Narrative research into pedagogy and education
Refereed academic journal articles
Zibell, L. (2012)
For the child and the world – a language of connection in education for sustainability. Fertile minds seeking dirt. Journal of Sustainability education (JSE)
- 2009-10 The Social Educator: Journal of the Social Educators' Association of Australia: Regular 'profile' column of prominent Australian social educators.
- 2009: On behalf of the Australian Association for Environmental Education - to ACARA Australian curriculum writers – Proposed scope and sequence for curriculum in environmental sustainability.
- 2006 Challenge - National Primary School magazine Late for Lessons
- 2004 Southern Cross Literary Comp. (fiction to 10,000 words) Highly Commended - Zero for Infinity (0 4 ∞)
- 2003 City of Ballarat, Biodiversity Short Story Comp. Winner - Heart Wood
- Geography Teachers' Association of Victoria conference: Borneo – the case of the vanishing rainforest.
- Geography Teachers' Association of Victoria conference: Borneo – the case of the vanishing rainforest
- Social Educators Association of Australia biennial conference: Sustainability Education at the Crossroads.
- National University Rural Health Conference: Using imagination to engage rural secondary school students in health education issues.
2011 - Presenter for the Global Education Project
- Geography Teachers' Association of Victoria conference, seminar co-creator: Teaching in the time of climate change.
- National Gallery of Victoria "Windows on the World": Literacy, the Arts & Social education seminar: Once the World was One.
- Sovereign Hill: History and Asian Perspectives in the Australian Curriculum;
- STAVCON Victorian Science Teachers Association conference; IEU/AEU 'Green Schools' conference'; Greening Australia - Toolbox for Environmental Change: Water - it's who we are.
- National Global Education Project conference: Borneo, the case of the vanishing rainforest.
- Social Educators Association of Australia biennial conference Sustainability, the right way round. (with Dr. Sandra Wooltorton, ECU); And - Borneo, a test case for global sustainability.
- (For the Global Education project) - ACU Ballarat: Forests and Sustainability.
- Australian College of Educators, Ballarat Chapter, Heinz Centre, Ballarat Grammar School with Mr. Nick Lanyon: Education for Sustainability.
- Presenter for Global Education Project: RMIT campuses at St. Albans and Hamilton; LaTrobe University at Bundoora
Education Advocacy for the Australian Curriculum (2008-9)
- Development of Professional Teacher Standards in Environmental Education. Australian Association for Environmental Education
- Roundtable discussion - Teaching Australia Network and ACARA: The alignment of curriculum, assessment and reporting with pedagogy and school leadership.
- Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) National
Curriculum Development Workshop on Sustainable Education.
- Social Educators Association of Australia (SEAA) – 2009 – national committee member
- Global Education Project (GEP) - GTAV Victoria
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)