Position: Lecturer in Literacy and Early Childhood
Location: Mt Helen Campus, T Building, Room T301C
Phone: 5327 6167
- MA Applied Linguistics (University of London)
- Masters of Education (University of Ballarat)
- Bachelor of Education (University of Ballarat)
- Graduate Diploma of Music (University of Ballarat)
- Diploma of Teaching Primary (State College of Victoria – Toorak)
- EDECE1004 Language, Literacy and ICTs for Young Children Distance)
- EDECE1014 Language, Literacy and ICTs for Young Children (On campus)
- EDECE2001 Diversity: Children, Families and Communities (Distance)
- EDECE2012 Diversity: Children, Families and Communities (on campus)
- EDBED2006 Language and Literacies in the Primary Years (On campus)
Karen has an extensive teaching background in primary schools in Victoria and an early childhood and primary setting in London. Karen has postgraduate studies in Education with a focus on Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and also postgraduate studies in Applied Linguistics, focusing on the language acquisition and literacy development of young children through both a psychological and sociocultural lens.
Karen has worked at FedUni since 2007, working across a number of programs to Masters level. Karen is currently teaching in the Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education) and the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) programs.
Karen is also enrolled in a doctorate and is focusing on young mothers and their pre-schoolers' literacy experiences in the home environment.
- Early childhood development and education
- First and second Language acquisition of young learners
- Literacy development in the early and primary years
- Classroom pedagogies and multiliteracies in the early years
- Young learner's sociocultural worlds
Masters of Educational Studies Minor Thesis titles:
Mothers discuss their children beginning primary school: A case study of perspectives mothers have when their children begin formal schooling.
Teacher understandings of literacy in the context of contemporary literacy education.
From Pergamum to Pallanteum: a journey across the landscape of language acquisition and the teaching of grammar.
The influence of music on preschool children's artistic expression.