Counselling services

The Counselling Service is offering specific and priority support and assistance to members of the University community impacted in any way by the Victorian Floods.

The Counselling Service has priority times for quick response for staff and students seeking individual counselling for issues arising from the floods. Contact the service on 5327 9470 for an appointment.

If you have concerns about a friend or colleague, you can also call this number to discuss the best way for you to support them.

Further information visit the Counselling Service webpage.


FedUni Disaster Assistance Scheme

Students affected by the recent Victorian Floods can apply for funds to support them through the FedUni Disaster Assistance Scheme.  Grants can cover text books, computers and uniforms lost to floods. The simple application process commences by getting in touch with our counsellors who will provide support in completing an application form.

Applications for Special Consideration

Students who are studying through the summer semester whose studies are affected by floods, should contact the counselling team to apply for special consideration if this is required. You can download your Application forms here or pick up in person at the Student Centre, Mt Helen.


Information for people intending to commence studies at Federation University Australia for the first time in 2014

If you have been made an offer for 2014 but are unable to get to campus to enrol by the due date and are unable to enrol online, please contact our Contact Centre Team on 1300 FED UNI. Flood-affected students who are unable to enrol by the due date will not lose their place.