FedUni mailroom and mail delivery
Daily operational overview
Central Records staff collect University mail each morning from Australia Post Ballarat and deliver mail to the Mt Helen mail room.
Records Management Services is responsible for:
- Sorting and distributing all incoming Australia Post mail.
- Processing University outgoing mail.
- Providing mail delivery to Mt Helen, SMB, Camp St and Gillies St campuses.
- Providing general information and advice for the use of Australia Post services.
- Managing the purchase of Australia Post consumables.
- Managing University mail accounts.
- Delivering outgoing mail to Australia Post depot.
- Managing and processing of letters and parcels to be sent by domestic and international courier services
Incoming registered mail is recorded in a Certified Mail Register and then distributed (this does not include eParcel and redirected courier deliveries).
Mt Helen mail run
Mail is delivered/collected twice daily to designated areas throughout the Mt Helen Campus. The morning run commences at 10.00 am and the afternoon run commences at 2.00 pm. Please ensure your mail bags are ready for collection at these times.
Parcels and large packages that are too big to be delivered will need to be collected from the Mt Helen mail room. We will advise you by email if you have a parcel for collection.
Please ensure parcels are collected as soon as possible. It is advisable to bring a trolley to collect parcels. Attached are guidelines for recommended maximum lifting weights and tips on manual handling (docx,100kb)
SMB mail run
Mail is delivered/collected to the SMB, Arts Academy and Gillies Street campuses once per day. This run also incorporates Facilities Mt Helen, Childcare Mt Helen, Fed Living and the Greenhill Enterprise Centre. The run commences from Mt Helen at approximately 9.00 am. Please ensure you have your mail bag ready for collection.
Horsham, Gippsland, Berwick and Brisbane internal mail
Mail to and from these campuses is either sent by express post or TOLL Courier, depending on cost and urgency of delivery. If you require your item to be processed on the same day, please mark it as urgent.
Mail from the Gippsland Campus to Mt Helen is sent by courier three days per week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Mail room access
The Mt Helen mail room is located in Annexe A (located between A and Y Buildings).
Australia Post mail tubs
Australia Post mail tubs are not to be removed from the mail room. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to borrow mail tubs.
Please notify Central Records by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours in advance of large mail-outs to ensure sufficient resources are available for processing. Large mail-outs are defined as:
- Exceeding 300 in number of standard letters - DL business sized envelopes.
- Exceeding 50 in number of large envelopes - A5 - C3 sized envelopes.
Please contact Central Records if you need any further clarification.
Key points for outgoing mail
- Mail-outs or parcels that are too big for the internal collection will need to be delivered to the mail room prior to 2.45 pm daily. Mail received after this time may not be processed until the following day.
- Mail account codes are to be clearly displayed on the top left hand corner of envelopes / parcels etc. For bulk items secured by a rubber band, it is sufficient for the top envelope only to be clearly marked.
- When bundling mail, all envelopes need to be upright facing and around the right way ie: logo showing in the top left hand corner. Mail is processed in batches and this cannot be stopped once commenced. This ensures mail is franked in accordance with Australia Post requirements.
- Local mail (3350 to 3357) should be separated from other mail as it is processed at a reduced rate.
- Letters must be sent in envelopes with the University logo.
- Parcels need to have the University return address on them.
- International parcels sent by Australia Post airmail (items that exceed 500g in weight) must have a customs declaration completed by the School/Department and attached to the item. These forms are available in the mail room.
- CN22 (green and white form) for items over 500g and under 2kg
- CP72 (blue and white form) for items over 2kg and under 20kg
- International letters and parcels sent via DHL Courier need to have a contact name, contact telephone number and address. Please note DHL will not deliver to Post Office boxes or Locked Bags.
- Under no circumstances are University postage funds to be used for personal mail.
- We will post your personal letters (not parcels), but they must have appropriate stamps attached to the envelope
Staff should be familiar with the Australia Post addressing standards.
Correctly addressed mail will help ensure the professional image of the University is maintained.
Personal incoming mail and parcels
Personal mail distribution is not the responsibility of the Mail Services team.
Personal mail received addressed to the University may be returned. This includes receipt of parcels. Central Records staff will not sign for parcels/packages that are clearly of a personal nature.
Dangerous / hazardous mail
Have you got something potentially difficult or dangerous to send? Some substances cannot be posted for delivery within Australia or overseas. For instance, items that are explosive, highly flammable, radioactive or otherwise dangerous.
If you're not sure about your item, please read the Dangerous and Prohibited Goods and Packaging Post Guide (pdf, 3.1mb.
Any item of mail deemed hazardous or dangerous will not be accepted/or posted by mail room staff.
Reply Paid is an Australia Post service for the delivery of response envelopes or cards to addresses within Australia.
Businesses can typically use Reply Paid with pre-printed barcoded envelopes that are inserted into a direct mail campaign.
With Reply Paid you can:
- use the service as a marketing tool, helping to encourage responses or provide a return service.
- provide an incentive to respondents by offering an easy, postage free way to response in their own time.
- save on costs by only paying for replies received.
- measure responses to a campaign or mail out.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to know more about this service.
Attached are guidelines for recommended maximum lifting weights and tips on (manual handling (docx, 100kb) Records Management Services staff will not lift items which are outside the recommended weight limits.